Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update, got a complete motor and trans from a 97 ex, going to make a new adapter, adding an intercooler. Also picked up a full float Dana 60 with 456 gears for the rear, and yesterday picked up a front Chevy Dana 60 that's been trussed and has a grizzly locker, couldn't pass it up at $700 with the locker. Going to pull the truss, flip the axle tubes, reinstall the truss flipped 180* to match the driver drop. Why all that and not just get a ford 60? Price, the locker was 500, the axle 200. Also cause this will be a low slung rig, a high pinion would cause driveshaft clearance issues, the low pinion allows the axle to tuck up higher in the chassis. Pics up later...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I found the 60 on another sight, I got 2 sterling's, the one you told me about, but didn't get the lockouts and forgot about the coil pack, and I got another sterling from a superduty, it was complete, but has 3.73 gears, I really needed 3.55's. Now what I need is a superduty front 60, and a set of superduty rims...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here is the rear 60, in pieces, but complete with 4.56 gears and the spindles drilled out for 35 spline shafts...

Here is the front 60, the gears are also 4.56, but the pinion was broke. Has a grizzly locker with only three rides on it. Need to get shafts, spindles, brake caliper brackets and rotors. May switch it over to Ford brakes in favor of dual calipers...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I was trying to go back and look at your pics, but you've exceeded your bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah, too many writeups, does it every month. You should be able to go to photobucket and view them...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, the ss minnow is back at the shop for another motor, different trans and Tcase, and axle swaps...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
We pulled a 96 explorer 5.0 and trans a couple months ago. We will be using the ex setup, switching to OBD2. Also going to use a 205, doubler later.

Fyi, for those interested, the difference between the explorer FEAD and the mustang FEAD is exactly 2 inches. We had almost 2" to move the engine forward, so I should be able to move the engine forward almost 4 inches for better driveshaft alignment. Just got to check for oil pan clearance...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It was going to project resurrection, but its sounding like he's gonna keep it...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So..... that adapter isn't being used anymore? :D
Maybe. As of right now, the plan is to modify the current adapter. I'm still gonna try to fab a new one, but I don't know at this point...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well, done a little work on this one. Got the trans and tcase pulled, pulled the engine harness & ecu, it's a standalone painless unit. Gonna try to pull the motor tomorrow. Im really hoping to fab a completely new intake adapter, and sell this one, we'll see...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You bolt the adapter on first, then the SC. The two front bolts you access through the hole for the blower cutaway, the two center holes there are two small holes to access with an allen wrench, the two rear holes are accessible as the rear of the adapter is V shaped...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Shane, take a look at this. It's an early to mid 80's bellhousing, forget what trans I got it from in the junkyard, but it looks like it will bolt to a T5...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got some work done on the jeep yesterday. Went to pull the supercharger off the motor, found the cap screws are starting to get surface rust on them, so they're getting replaced for stainless ones...

Got the motor pulled...

Here is the adapter on the motor...

Its got to be moved back 2"...

Here's a shot of inside the front of the adapter...

Since going to the explorer electronics, there's no dizzy, so that gives us more room. Here's a few shots showing the clearance using mustang style fuel rails. Using the explorer fuel rails, it can dropped a little more, but they will be pointing on the wrong side if this was going in a mustang. I've got a solution to that, and with my solution I could lower the supercharger even more. As it stands using the stock mustang rails, I'm dropping it 1.25"...

This is the fuel pressure regulator. It will clear for the mustang crowd, but for the explorer FEAD the charger is getting both lowered and moved back. I will have to do some minor clearancing, but I've got the material and room to do it...

With the adapter and charger on the explorer FEAD engine, you can see just how far the pulley sticks out...

I wanted to get the motor, trans, and tcase in the jeep. It ran later than I wanted to, but its in. It's just sitting in there, as I need to build motor mount plates as well as a trans crossmember...

As you can see, its nightfall, about 730. I also had stripped the motor of the harness, and swapped out the injectors and fuel rails for the 24 lb squirters and mustang fuel rail. I could have made the explorer rails work, but this engine was already setup and running using the mustang rails, so they will stay...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The center was modified to fit an nv3550 jeep transmission. Its the same setup that advance adapters makes for jeep V8 sbf conversions. It uses an external slave, but the housing has the bosses to mount the slave, rather than making the mount for the T5 slave setup....

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Its been too long since I looked at a T5, I couldnt remember...so much for that thought, lol

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got the grille back on...

Got the motor almost level, installed the rad and electric fan...

Motor repositioned...

I called it a day after this. Worked on three projects today. Need to fab motor mount brackets, the trans crossmember, modify the supercharger adapter, then work on the harness...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Been out of town all week, but while I was collecting parts at the junkyard today I picked up a couple for the jeep, I needed a water temp sensor and a trans dipstick tube, as both of these were damaged on the replacement motor. Hope to get some progress done next week...

SVT

21 - 40 of 114 Posts