Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 96 ranger build thread, aka SVT...This started as a stock truck when I bought it back in 02 or 03. Its come a long way, but here is how it sits now...

Specs are
5.0 from 97 explorer, hydroboost and mc from a superduty, hp kp 60 from a 91 F350 narrowed 9.25", Dana 60U out back from late 90's E350, 16" fox airshocks up front, stock repacked leafs out back, cut fenders, 47" michelin XML's, explorer full length center console, and a few more mods I know I'm missing. I just bought this a couple weeks ago....

And so you know just how big this monster is....

SVT

·
Registered
107 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be a slow build, as everything else has been taking priority, but thanks for following. If you have any questions about any part of the build, post up and I'll dig em up from my other forum. I've got over 700 detailed photos, and it would take weeks to get the complete build over here...LOL I'll try to post up the highlights as I get time...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waking this from the dead, I started cutting materials for the front bumper. It will be made out of 3/16 plate, with the frame mounting points out of 5/16. Here is the plate, started marking and cutting it out. I don't have my bender adapter made yet for my press, so I can't fab it the way I want with less welds, so I have to cut out each piece individually and weld it up...

Here is a couple pieces cut...

I have most of the pieces cut, I still need a 7x33 and an 8x33, along with a couple small pieces, and the frame mounting plates. I'm sitting at 30 lbs so far, and I estimate another 30-50 lbs will be added, not counting welding wire. So after its done it should be right under 100 lbs...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got some more work done on the bumper, I got most of the pieces cut out....

After most of the pieces were cut, I weighed them to see about what it would weigh. Altogether, its about 60 lbs, not counting the frame mounting plates...

Now that I have main pieces cut, I can start putting the puzzle together. I started witht the lower center plate, got it mocked up into place and measured the angle. Tacked in place on both ends, the larger plates were tacked on both ends and in the middle. After it was tacked, it was double checked for angle and straight, then a good tack, rechecked, then burned in place...

All the joints will be welded on both sides for strength, and the outer joints will be smoothed for a seemless look...

Its coming together!!

And here's where my day was cut short, I ran out of wire. The winch mounting plate was welded on the top side, and one of the side plates on the end of the winch plate was welded on the outside, and partially on the inside...

With most of the bumper fabbed, I weighed it again to see how heavy it was with the wire added to it. There was some trimming to various plates to get the correct angle, and to my surprise it was lighter than I thought. With the individual plates weighing in at 60 lbs, I thought the wire would take the place of the trimmed pieces. I was wrong. Currently its weighing in at 54 lbs...

The only thing left to add to the bumper is a small angled piece on top towards the rear of the bumper, and two top sections on either side of the winch. After that, I need to mock it up in place on the truck to see just how far the outside pieces need to positioned. At that point I can also measure for the frame mounting plates, and lastly the shackle mount tabs can be installed. Got to cut some grass around the house and other odds and ends this weekend, but I plan for the fab work to be completed monday, hopefully get it sanded smooth and some paint laid on it. SVT has a body lift currently, but when the new frame gets built along with the new suspension design, the body lift will be swapped for a set of poly bushings in stock form. New frame will be 2x4 or 2x5 by 3/16 wall, new suspension will be a type of hybrid combining two different styles I have not yet seen but in theory will net me some stupid crazy flex with an advantage for crawling, and still have comfy ride. This should be starting hopefully by the spring time, got to get the new axles first....

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, at 97 cents a can, you can't beat it. You can also see in the same background the dump trailer I'm building, that has been turned into a catch all...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Tom. I had somewhat a stopping point on the other projects. I need to hit the boneyard again for a motor for Josh's truck, D-ranged. Since I had the materials for almost a year now sitting on my shop floor acting as a door mat, fluid catcher, jack stand base, and whatever else was thrown on top of it, I decided to start at least cutting the pieces out. Before I knew it I was in full force and just about had it done til I ran out of wire. And I was just thinking I hope I have enough wire to finish it about a half hour before, lol. I really need to get a plasma cutter though, cutting stuff out with a cutoff wheel takes too much time and gets old quick!

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I like it.

And I get my paint from Rural King. A little more, but it coats so much better. Plus their red matches the Ranger/B2.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I really need to get a plasma cutter though, cutting stuff out with a cutoff wheel takes too much time and gets old quick!
This!

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Harbor freight has em, Dustin. I haven't decided on hf's 40 amp for $650, which will cut 3/8 all day long, but need a compressor to run it, or go with rural king's Hobart 25 amp (?) for around $840ish, it will cut up to 1/4, but has a built in compressor, just plug into any 110v outlet and start cutting. Kind of leaning towards the Hobart. I missed the chance to get a miller plasma that has the built in compressor from my neighbor for $400, 1/4x was its limit, but it was like new. He used it twice, paid $900 and change for it...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, not much of a surprise, I got more wire, but now I don't have the time to finish the bumper. I should be done with Josh's truck this coming week, weather delaying any progress. After that I plan to finish the bumper. Looks like I'll need to cut the front bumper mounting bracket off the front frame, then I can fab the frame mounting plates...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, since Josh picked up D yesterday, I started some work on SVT. When I woke up I had the plan to have the rad back in and hooked up and get the Tcase in. Well, I'm also working on the house, and guess which one I had to do first. So, I managed to get the rad in and hooked up, and got my power steering return lines plumbed to the reservoir. Tomorrow I hope to get the Tcase in and front brake lines ran along with mounting my front calipers. Only thing left after that is mounting the battery in the bed and getting the front bumper finished, painted and mounted, rear driveshaft modded and installed and check fluids. If I have time, I might trim the rear fenders and possibly fab a rear bumper to match the front...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, today was a complete bust. The only thing I managed to do was get the power steering pressure lines done. I wanted to at least get the Tcase mounted, but I was stuck working on the house til 11pm tonight. Tomorrow I plan to hit it hard and early. First on the list is the Tcase and driveshaft, then its the front brake lines. After that, onto the bumper after I fire it up...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today completely sucked. I tried getting the 205 in, but eventually it hit the trans xmember, so I had to go back with the awd case. Got that done, got the rear driveshaft modded and installed,or the battery finally installed temporarily, the cables were too short to reach the bed. Finally got it started after a bunch of mistakes made from trying to rush, then I went to do the front brake lines and that got cut short due to rain coming in. Didn't get the brakes finished, didn't get the bumper done, so I tossed in the stock bumper in the bed to be installed tomorrow. Didn't get my tires mounted on my rims for my Trac. Left later than I wanted to, but here we are, loaded up and hitting the road...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I'm looking at the replacement axles for SVT. I was originally looking for a set of front load rockwells, either 2.5 or 5 ton. But it seems finding Jimmy Hoffa will be easier. I didn't want traditional top loaders cause of the high center section limiting my low cog. So I start looking at military surplus, and came across these...
http://www.axletech.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=Plan_Steer_4000

They are axletech 4000, basically, a 9 ton capacity axle, ratios from 4.35 to 13.74, have air lockers already installed, and are straight bada$$. At 1350 lbs each, 990 lbs debraked, they are a little heavy, but definitely will be my last pair of axles I'll have to buy. I won't have to worry about any breakage, either. There's a guy on pirate building a set now. I'm really thinking these are the axles I want to go with. Guess I need to start hitting the surplus auctions...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still a ways out, and the new axles won't make this year's Ranger Roundup, but here is a pic of the axles I'm going to use. So much axle in such a small package. I can't wait to get a pair...

I've already been quoted a price on a brand new pair of zero mile axles. If I didnt have plans for the axles under SVT now, they'd be sold and I'd have one of them under the truck now...

SVT

1 - 20 of 48 Posts