Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, new to the forums here, hoping someone can give me some ideas. I have a 2005 Ford Escape, disc brakes in the front, drums on the rear. I had all the brake hoses replaced all around as well as the wheel cylinders on the rear drums last year. The rear right-side drum after driving gets much hotter than the rear-left side. The problem is bad enough, when the weather is warmer and after a longer drive, I can actually smell something on the rear-right side if I stick my head near the wheel well (almost reminds me of burnt plastic), the drum is extremely hot (boils off water instantly), and the rim is even pretty hot to the touch. The rear-left side is just fine, warm, but not too hot at all. This didn't start happening, to my knowledge, until the wheel cylinders were replaced. I am not sure if I need to have something adjusted or something else is going on (bad wheel cylinder, wheel bearing?). I don't believe any adjustments were done after the wheel cylinders were replaced either.

On a side note, I have checked the parking break wasn't on as well...it's about 3-5 clicks until it wont go any further.

At any rate, if anyone has some suggestions as to what the problem and possibly a solution would be, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
First thing I would do is back off the adjuster a few clicks and see if it improves and gets cooler. If the bearing was bad enough to generate that kind of heat you would hear it. So that leaves only two other possibilities. 1 the adjuster is too tight, and 2 the new wheel cylinder is hanging up. Then again it could be a combination of both.

BTW when you replace a wheel cylinder, you have to disassemble the brakes to get them in, including the adjuster. When they put it all back together they may have gotten the adjustment wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts