Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I didn't want to wait till this weekend and started installing the CD player I had in my Focus. It actually looks better in the car than I thought it would. I was afraid it would cheapen the interior look.

Anyway, I got it installed and tested it. I am not getting sound from my stock "subs" in the rear deck. There were three wire harnesses that came off the stock head unit. Only the largest one plugged into my adapter to the new head unit. I assumed the other two were for the volume and the << >> buttons on the steering wheel. Apparently one is for the stock amp (I am going to guess the smaller one).

Bummer, I was hoping it would drop right in since they are the same model year ford vehicles. [poke]
Looks like I will need to grab another wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Sometimes the ohms on a stock sub is a very odd value,too. Check the numbers , make sure they are compatible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I will look into it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
The third plug is for the sub out, since you did not hook it up you have no sub now. You need this http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=70-5521

Make sure you put a 1K ohm resistor in series on the turn on lead. Ford's audiophile and mach amps use a 5v turn on signal and all aftermarket headunits use 12v for amp turn on. If you pump 12v into the amp that only wants 5v you will get a loud 'popping' sound everytime you turn the system on. It won't do any damage, but it sounds sickening.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The third plug is for the sub out, since you did not hook it up you have no sub now. You need this http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=70-5521

Make sure you put a 1K ohm resistor in series on the turn on lead. Ford's audiophile and mach amps use a 5v turn on signal and all aftermarket headunits use 12v for amp turn on. If you pump 12v into the amp that only wants 5v you will get a loud 'popping' sound everytime you turn the system on. It won't do any damage, but it sounds sickening.
Link is broken but I know what you are talking about. Brother in-law's mustang "pops" at start up. I think I'll grab him one too.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
My F150 had an audiophile system and it did the same thing until I put in the resistor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts