Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Budget, Truck, Plants/Manufacturing, Work, India

Indian vehicle maker Mahindra is looking for a way to avoid import taxes when it puts its pickup truck and Scorpio sport utility on the U.S. market sometime in 2010, so it's no surprise that Automotive News is reporting that the manufacturer is on the hunt for a stateside assembly location. It's the same reason why there are Honda and Toyota plants here, and Mahindra is no stranger to selling vehicles in our market - or assembling them here, for that matter.

Already well established selling tractors to American farmers, Mahindra has three U.S. plants for its agricultural products already. Looking at how Mahindra has stretched out to many different regions and markets, there's little doubt that assembling pickup trucks here in the U.S. from knock-down kits is going to be easy, as they're already doing the same thing in Egypt and Brazil, for example.

The U.S. market has precious few true small pickup offerings left, the Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma and the Chevrolet Colorado/ GMC Canyon twins are about all there is, and there may be untapped potential for a well-priced truck, particularly one with a diesel engine. That's what Mahindra is banking on, as it is apparently planning to make the United States one of its largest export markets.

[Source: Automotive News - sub req]
REPORT: Mahindra out shopping for new U.S. pickup factory originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

Text Source: Autoblog

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
^^ And Cargo and CAbin Space ... More Peeps and More stuff to lug around ... why else do you buy a truck.

-Ray-

·
Registered
827 Posts
The load guard protecting the rear window looks like a good idea. The trucks I've had in the past could have used one of those at times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw this on Autoblog and it made me laugh. I was surprised to hear that they are already selling tractors here. I was going to say Average Joe Six-Pack is not going to buy a strange-looking compact pickup from a company called Mahindra... but if farmers are buying the tractors, hey maybe it's not that far out there.

I still say though, change the dorky styling, license it to be sold as something familiar (same way Mazda, Isuzu, and Mitsubishi sold their trucks here at first) and it would seem more likely to get buyers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts