Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Economy, Plants/Manufacturing, Hatchbacks, Chrysler, LLC., Ford, FIAT, Rumormill

The 2009 Ford Ka - Click above for a high-res gallery

It's a long shot, but according to The Detroit Free Press, Chrysler's deal with Fiat could result in Ford offering the cutesy Ka for sale in North America. As you may recall, Ford co-developed the Ka's platform with Fiat (it shares its chassis with the 500), and the Italian automaker builds both cars in Poland. If and when Chrysler and Fiat finish dancing and commit, the Freep reasons that models built on the 500's platform might be built in Chrysler's Toluca, Mexico plant. If so, that could offer Ford the kind of economies-of-scale necessary to sell the thousands of thin-margin Kas to make the venture worthwhile.

If the Ford Fiesta takes off and Ford can keep the Ka's price down - it starts at £7,995 ($12,150 US) in the UK - the case might make itself. Sure, there are a fair number of ifs, mights, and maybes in there, but as a cheap city car for when gas prices doubtlessly skyrocket again, it's certainly worth a thought or two.

Gallery: 2009 Ford Ka

[Source: The Detroit Free Press]Rumormill: Could the Fiat-Chrysler deal yield a North American Ford Ka? originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 11 May 2009 09:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

Text Source

·
Registered
43 Posts
i feel like they should keep the ka in europe, but bring over the 3 door fiesta. I do like the commercials for the Ka Sport tho. they make me lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
The cool think about this car is that if you cant find a parking space, you just get out, put it in your pocket and go do your business! lol

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hmm ... I like the KA Commercials also ... especially the one with the Cat ...

But I don't feel this car will do as well as the fiesta over here.

-Ray-

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with you, this isnt going to have as big a following as the Fiesta here stateside. Its a cool car, but I dont think Americans are ready for such a TINY car. Americans want to feel safe on the roads, and you cant feel safe driving a sardine can, looking up and seeing a lady on the cell phone driving a suberban. The Fiesta is the smallest car that America is ready for, and I can feel that it is going to do VERY well here.

·
Registered
248 Posts
but I dont think Americans are ready for such a TINY car.
I don't know...we saw 3 Smart Cars in Yellowstone over the Memorial Day weekend.
And, here in Helena, the land of pickemup trucks, there's even a couple Smart Cars running around.

I'd have no problem sporting (pun intended) a KA if they were available here.

The more small cars we start building or importing over here, the quicker Americans will catch on.
If gas hits $5 a gallon again this summer, you can bet people are going to want those smaller cars sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
^^ Good point ^^

My wife has been trying real hard to talk me up to a Smart Car ... and then discussions of small cars came up with some friends at dinner.

I guess I can see any small car doing well with the rise of Gas Prices.

-Ray-

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
23 Posts
I was about to say the same thing Doug. Here in the city Smart cars are everywhere. I bet they would catch on ever stronger if they weren't so darn expensive.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The Ka looks like someone washed a Focus in hot water.....[:D]

·
Registered
43 Posts
^^ lmao!

Honestly, I dont think Americans are ready to give up their SUVs. And its becoming easier for us to keep the suvs and still get descent milage. Look at the new chevy tahoe hybrid, or the Ford Flex, mercury meriner hybrid,... You are getting the safety that is inherent with the SUVs but getting milage you would get in a Focus. My mom's Flex gets 19mpg around town and my Focus gets 23mpg (grated, i do drive the living piss out of it, but still impressive nonetheless).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts