Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to bring this up here, since this a new site and not affiliated.

But, Ford Fusion Club... What's up with them? I registered with them almost a week ago and they still haven't approved my registration.

There is some threads over there that I would like to participate in and some things I want to see that I can't see without being logged in.

I am glad this site is here!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The site was apparently bought out a little while back and the new site owners stink.

What threads are you particularly looking for? I can copy pasta if you want...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is the first post:
All of the picture links are broken unfortunately

NVRLSPN said:
Okay, so I recently got my 2010 Ford Fusion and I wanted a little bit different look to the lighting on the inside of the car. I easily replaced the dome/map lights in the front, but I was having some trouble with the back seat bulb. I got a blue "Festoon" LED bulb for the back seat as that is what it calls for. Specifically a "578" Bulb. I picked up a few "RL4410" type LEDs from http://www.superbrightleds.com. They ran me $5.95 without shipping. However, they didn't make contact with the metal parts that conduct electricity in the light fixture. After careful study and comparison I decided to do a little modding of the purchased products I got. All in all it took my about 5 mins to mod the LEDs after finding the correct tools. The best tools for the job seem to be: a heavy duty wire snip (not needle nose), or sheet metal cutter, and 2 pliers. I all seriousness there probably is an LED product out there that would fit right off, but I was impatient and didn't want to wait to return the product and have something else come back to me. (*Captions appear before the images*)

This is the RL4410 LED I got.

This is the 578 bulb that was in the car. This is basically what you need to turn the LED bulb into.

You need to get those metal end pieces off of the original bulb so you can use them on the new LED.

Using my thumb and nail I wiggled the metal end off of the glass bulb.

Be careful not to damage the bulb and metal end piece, if you press too hard you might crush the bulb putting fine pieces of glass into your finger, not fun.

Once you get the metal ends off the bulb it looks just like the LED.

On the left is what the end used to look like, the right is what you need it to look like.

Use your wire snips to cut into the end piece. Four cuts in total. This makes the piece more plyable to fit around the wider LED.

After you make the cuts, bend the cut parts up, then grab onto them with your pliers and twist, they should just fall off at this point.

Now you need to make 2 more cuts that will make the metal piece shorter on the ends. This is so it will fit in the fixture in your car.

Slide the metal parts onto your LED, the reverse of how you took them off the OEM bulb. After you get them on, gently use your plies to fit the metal on the LED by squeezing around the LED.

I hope this helps someone. Message me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer. Good luck modding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh...no, they're all broken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts