Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of doing a type of blog build (kind of like the Blog Buggy build on Extreme 4x4) after I finish my next build. But since thats a ways off, probably spring of 2014, I decided to do some brainstorming and gather ideas and thoughts for the upcoming builds. So here it is, what would you have for your build? Keep in mind tire size will stay under 37's, but thats about the only rule. What what you do or like to see done? Engine? Trans? Tcase? Doubler? Axles? Suspension? Fullbody/Tube bed/Tube fenders? Internal or Exo cage? Accessories? There is a limit to the budget for each build, so $15k per axle is not exactly plausible. Think junkyard parts that can be reconditioned. Bonus points for adding where you would spend money, and for listing prices [thumb]

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Josh does just fine on his 44 and 40s. I vote for the same setup me and Greg have. 8.8 rear, 44 front. Then weld them, hydro, drive flanges, 2 tcases at minimum. Motor and trans won't matter. Pick up a gen 1 or 2 Ranger, gut and strip it minus chassis and cab, now go.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My next build is a 94 Xcab ranger with a tube bed, shortened wb, undecided motor, manual trans and dual tcases. The "blog" build is a 96 xcab, no frame/chassis...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard, Allen. It'll be hard to find a decent B2, but I was thinking of an explorer sport to build soon [twothumbs]

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome back, Dustin. Hope you enjoyed your trip. It'll be a couple months before I start buying any more trucks, I got too many around the shop now, need to get rid of a few first. And even though I can get a title, I'd rather get one with the vehicle...

SVT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dana 44 front, 8.8 Rear. Locker of some sort rear. Maybe a Yukon? 37" BFG KM2s. Could get cute and due a D60 front in the rear and fab up a hyd rear steer using a 12V hyd pump and controller? But Personally I like simple and common parts that everyone has so if/when something breaks its easy to find parts. Dual T-cases for sure, BII rear tank.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My next build is a 94 Xcab ranger with a tube bed, shortened wb, undecided motor, manual trans and dual tcases. The "blog" build is a 96 xcab, no frame/chassis...

SVT
Update on this build, which has been named project HWW (Hardcore Weekend Wheeler) :
94 x-cab on 96 x-cab 2wd frame, 94 4.0 motor, 94 M5OD, custom reduction box using 1350 internals with 6 pinion planetary, 1354 Tcase, full width 44 stuffed with 4.56 and lunchbox locker, 8.8 full width rear running 9" axleshafts, 9.75" disc brakes, 4.56 and lunchbox locker, most likely Aussie locker, wheelbase shortened, inboard rear springs, 6" xj 190 lb rough country springs up front, tube bed. Most likely will dress up the front end with a Y2K explorer front clip, custom front and rear bumpers with a 12K badlands winch, DIY beadlocks with custom project logo, and I bought a set of 36" iroks from a buddy, but might end up buying a set of MTR treadwrights if I don't get em in time...
Pricelist:
Cab-$300
Frame-free
Motor/trans-free (swapped for labor)
Reduction box- (tbd, haven't built it yet)
1354 - free, already own
Dana 44- $85 ( still need gears/locker)
8.8 - $50, came with 4.56 gears, need locker, brakes and shafts
DIY beadlock kit- $75
Tires- set of 5 $400
Front springs- $50

So for $960, I got about 90% of this project built...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a build thread in the blue oval build showroom with some pics, check it out...

SVT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts