Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I've recently done a ranger front clip conversion to my sport trac, and as some of you know the same say I put the front clip on I had a deer wipe out the passenger front. So I'm in the process of collecting my parts to do yet another 2011 ranger front clip swap. I had planned on buying a set of black headlights to match the black tails I have (LED tails are not yet available for the sport trac, so I'm thinking of grafting gen3 explorer tails to it, but thats another chapter). I am thinking of getting a set of HID's, but I don't like how people put the cheap HID's in the stock headlights and the blind oncoming traffic. But Most if not all projectors I've seen have the halo look to them, which I don't really care for. So here is my crossroads. Get HID's with projector lights, or get sylvania's hyper white bulbs with stockish black headlights. Whats do ya'll think? (Pics might be small, copied right off ebay's site...)

Stockish black headlights...

Projector black headlights...

SVT

·
Gets more V8
136 Posts
stockish (#1) with a projector retrofit I think would look pretty much amazing.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
By fed law all hid retrofit kits are illegal. only housings designed for hids (projectors) have the correct light cutoff.
The problem with reflectors is hids use an arc instead of a fillament. the fillament never moves while the arc position can change due to voltage, temperature, barametric pressure, magnetism, and a whole host of other things which means the beam in a reflector is ever changing with hids and cant be focused which is where the light scatter comes from.
Tell ya what, if you want to play around with retrofitting some projectors (which is still illegal, your modifying lighting... lol) I have a set of ebay projectors for a focus that never fit right, that you can have if you pay the shipping. there's a high and low projector with adjusters in each one. actually I'd better check and make sure I didn't toss them first...

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the SSU's for SVT a while back, and I abolutely loved them. Bright enough to light up the night, especially with the white light they put off, but not bright as in to blind oncoming traffic...
I haven't heard of projector retrofit kits, I'm gonna have to check into that. I do like how the projectors are a one piece light/corner light though....

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By fed law all hid retrofit kits are illegal. only housings designed for hids (projectors) have the correct light cutoff.
The problem with reflectors is hids use an arc instead of a fillament. the fillament never moves while the arc position can change due to voltage, temperature, barametric pressure, magnetism, and a whole host of other things which means the beam in a reflector is ever changing with hids and cant be focused which is where the light scatter comes from.
Tell ya what, if you want to play around with retrofitting some projectors (which is still illegal, your modifying lighting... lol) I have a set of ebay projectors for a focus that never fit right, that you can have if you pay the shipping. there's a high and low projector with adjusters in each one. actually I'd better check and make sure I didn't toss them first...
Ok, I'll take em, just let me know how much it'll be...

SVT

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I like the silver stars, but I learned real quick when travelling to carry a spare bulb. sucks when your in the mountains at night and suddenly one decides to take a shit.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Ok, I'll take em, just let me know how much it'll be...

SVT
pm me your addy and Ill have to get a weight on them too and see. dont think it should be too bad if I can keep the box size at a minimum.
may not be for a few days tho with the holidays... and deer hunting, lol (hey, I got priorities ya know [:p])

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the silver stars, but I learned real quick when travelling to carry a spare bulb. sucks when your in the mountains at night and suddenly one decides to take a shit.
My SSU's actually have lasted me about 6 years and counting....I'll PM you in a sec....

SVT

·
Gets more V8
136 Posts
perhaps that's the difference ? my silver stars lasted me 6 months. I don't THINK they were ultras.

·
Gets more V8
136 Posts
so my thinking was that the ultras last a hell of a lot longer.

I have some regular sylvania xtravisions I got for $11 (employee discount at oreillys was worth it) in the Mazda... might as well transfer them to the Toyota, I just bought em a few months ago and these ones seem dim. 9004 ftw.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I paid right at $50 for the pair, and while a little pricey, for the length of time they last and the amount of light they put out, its well worth it...

SVT

·
Gets more V8
136 Posts
I forgot all about the nice light I got on the focusI have to admit though I got my hellas (aux driving lights) for $60 new off eBay. now THAT is a difference.

yes I know slightly off topic... but its the only thread available lol

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No threadjacking here, still talking about lights! I thought about getting rigid's 42" LED bar, and while definitely pricey, it turns the darkest night's into daytime...

SVT

·
Gets more V8
136 Posts
oh man rigids are sweet... I see all these Toyota guys with them and they love the things! then again their other cars are dodge vipers and Corvettes etc so the cost isn't too bad for them. wtf.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts