1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One word...

FAIL

I just read the car and driver test. 31 MPG !!! [?|]...CVT tranny ONLY![bigcry]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....The Corolla gets 36, the yaris 39 , but the IQ 31..why even bother?

The Geo metro chevy sprint got 51 back in the 80'!!! Gentleman we are going the wrong direction. whatever the EPA is doing, isn't working.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I get 33 out of my wagon driven carefully. I average 29...what are they doing wrong that 40MPG isn't easy. The old DX civic and the metro could both approach 50 MPG. all this "technology" and we are going backwards...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
And on top of that, adding weight.

That's why in SCCA they made a new ST-F class ... for the Fat new hatches to compete in.

-Ray-

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, and not 50-80 pounds, but HUNDREDS of pounds!!! The metro turbo weighed under 1800 lbs. The "b" cars are 400-600 pounds more! HOLY COw!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Send a e-mail and letter into Toyota; I got a TOTALLY lame stamped out response...Oh well, so much for listening to potential buyers. Total form letter garbage :(

It was between an IQ or the 3 cyl. fiesta...Guess what I'm still waiting on, My 56 miles (one way) commute is making me look SMALL

·
Registered
30 Posts
But the iq is a blast...lol
3 of us took one for a test drive. that thing with its 12' turning circle was awesome. we were slaloming the lane lines on the road and had them laughing their asses off as we sat in the dealers parking lot doing loops around a light post amoungst other unheard of crap...lol

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ Yeah, that could be fun...How was the CVT? The magazines hated it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Didnt seem to be anything wrong with it that i could tell. Had a nice smooth powerband with no jerkiness or anything.
Of course you'd never win drag races with it...lol
But it had enough pep for its size and handled way better than i anticipated. I thought the thing would have massive amounts of bodyroll, but surprisingly it didnt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think it's the EPA so much as the manufacturers that seem to be bent on making engines as small as possible. Ford's eco-boost 1.0L in the Focus overseas is a dog as well. There's too much focus on small gasoline engines when we should be focused on small diesels- you know how I feel about that Bill. Especially with the electric hybrids- all 3 of the PNGV vehicles got over 72 mpg- and that was with a small diesel driving an electric generator that drove the electric motors at the wheels- no batteries, no plug-in.

The little cars are sort of interesting, but none seem to be getting better fuel economy than you can get out of a slightly larger vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think it's the EPA so much as the manufacturers that seem to be bent on making engines as small as possible. Ford's eco-boost 1.0L in the Focus overseas is a dog as well. There's too much focus on small gasoline engines when we should be focused on small diesels- you know how I feel about that Bill. Especially with the electric hybrids- all 3 of the PNGV vehicles got over 72 mpg- and that was with a small diesel driving an electric generator that drove the electric motors at the wheels- no batteries, no plug-in.

The little cars are sort of interesting, but none seem to be getting better fuel economy than you can get out of a slightly larger vehicle.
I would take a small displacement turbo diesel over these so called efficient engines anyday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts