Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been using 91 octane premium as that's what the max hp and tq ratings require but it does state you can use 87 or 89 as well. What type of fuel have you been using and do you notice any drop in performance or change in fuel economy?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use BP 87 and have had good results and plenty of power. Now that prices are dropping, I might try some 89 or 91 to see if there's a noticeable difference.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you seeing for mileage? We have been doing almost entirely around town and mostly short trips and are only getting 21 mpg....but I tend to have a lead foot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 9 mile commute to work. Two miles city and 7 miles semi-crowded freeway. I run the usual errands some mornings before work and on weekends, I'm currently averaging 26.4 mpg. The temps have dropped here, but during the warm months I was averaging 27.8 to 28.4. The best mpg's I got were 36.5 on a road trip a few weeks ago. I have a pretty light foot from stops and take advantage of the deceleration cut off as much as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 escape sel 2.0 ecoboost 4x4 i used regular unleaded since i bought it in October i also average 21mpg and have a lead foot at times i drive 31 miles each way to and from work

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my 2.0 EcoBoost I switch back and forth between 87 and 93 depending on the price that day, I tend to fill up when the gauge reads around 1/2 tank so I'm probably actually running on 90 octane most of the time. It sure runs good when I put my boot down.[burnout]

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I only use shell or sunoco (get-go) and only run 87 in my wifes escape and in my truck. After some digging I managed to find out ford rates the 2.0 ecoboost at 240 hp on 91 or better octane, but when you run 87 it is rated at 231 hp. Only a 9 hp difference.

BTW the hp rating on all ecoboost engines installed in cars and car based suv's are rated at 91, while the trucks are rated at 87 octane.

An example, the 3.5 L ecoboost in the taurus sho is rated at 365 hp/365 tq at 91 octane while the truck version is 365 hp/ 420 tq on 87 octane. You may wonder how the truck version has more tq and the same hp with lower octane, simple, bigger turbos. Actually there have been unconfirmed reports that the truck version gets 380 hp on 91 octane and about 430 tq. Don't know why ford doesn't publish the hp/tq ratings on higher octane for the trucks, my guess, since most all truck buyers use the lowest, cheapest octane grade because of the large capacity fuel tanks and the poor mileage, they don't need to know the ratings on higher octane as they will never use the better gas.

My truck has a 36 gal tank and when gas was at 4 bucks a gallon for 87 it would cost me upwards of 130 to fill up,around here it costs anywhere from 20 to 30 cents more per gallon for 93 octane so at 4.30 a gal for 93 I could pontentially pay 155 for a fill up.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I can get 93 for 2.43 right now. 87 is only 2.23

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm afraid to leave my house for fear of getting hit by a falling gas price! [eek]

Now if diesel would only drop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts