41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
If the 6 lug rotors are a larger and thicker design, then it'll be worth it for me to swap. 04+ expy' are starting to hit the yards...

SVT

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
If the 6 lug rotors are a larger and thicker design, then it'll be worth it for me to swap. 04+ expy' are starting to hit the yards...

SVT
You will probably need a lot of fab work to make the 04+ brakes work on your truck. The 04+ expy is based off the 04+ 150's a totally different design compared to your truck. In the end it would be easier and cheaper to run wheel adapters.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Knowing you, you had to come across these stupid cheap, as you can't use them at all. It'd have to be dirt cheap for me as I have all terrains on my truck now, and to go to street tires...

SVT

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Those are the standard 17" wheel from the 04 and 05 FX4 and the optional alloy on the 06-08 STX. They are 17 x7.5

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm running 17's on my truck, toyo geolander AT's. My tires are fairly new, not looking forward to buying a set of those. Good thing is the industry has pretty much standardized 17" as a common size...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So the brake upgrade begins. I went to glissons today and compared and picked up a pair of calipers and caliper brackets. I didn't take comparison shots of the differences in calipers or brackets, but I did of the rotors. Both rotors are the same diameter (12")...

Here you can see the stock 01 f150 rotor on the left, the 99 expedition rotor on the right. The surface is thicker, but the cooling fins between the surfaces is also larger, for more efficient cooling...

I will take comparison shots when I pull my truck down for the upgrade. This rotor was fairly new, but I'll be ordering the powerstop slotted rotors from rockauto, as well as having a set of stainless braided lines made...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just checked rockauto, drilled and slotted powerstop rotors are $44.79 each, without our discount, $97.67 shipped to my door with the discount.
On a side note, front rotors measure 12.13", rear rotors measure 13.5", according to rockauto....

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Most rears are solid, as are mine and the expeditions...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I've already thought about it. I'm just gonna get some lights for the front, rear & 3rd brake light and call it good. Debating on doing a coyote swap...

SVT

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Trac will be gone soon...

SVT

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I'll just leave this here
That's an 04+ expy front clip. Truckin magazine did that swap on a second gen lightning a few months back. IIRC they had to trim the core support to clear the newer style lights, but it is basically a bolt-on.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Next time I see an 04+ expy in the yard, I may grab the front clip. They're hitting my yards now...

SVT

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
It would have to be black for me to consider. I wouldn't pay for paint.

Did they use the F150 bumper? Looks like just the hood, fenders, headlights, and grill.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Shane, remember when I said I wanted to install an additional trans cooler and I didn't look to see if or what size I had. Well, I finally looked today while doing some "upgrades"...

As you can see, I do have one, but its only about 4" tall, and about 12" wide, maybe 1" deep. The explorer coolers are bigger than this one is, I'm not really liking that. You can also see that the lines going in are inverted flare, not barbed fittings...
Here's my "upgrades". My factory horn is not quite loud enough for my tastes, so I added two additional "horns". You can see the trans cooler and power steering cooler behind them...

Those horns are actually speakers for my siren. I have an electronic horn function on the siren, which is why I chose to install the speakers. My original decision for installing the siren box is for the switch panel to operate my hazard and offroad lights. Here is the center console cupholder that I'm mounting it in....

Here is the section cut out for the siren to sit in...

Here's the siren mounted in the panel....

This is where I finished today. I need to trim the air duct in the console for the siren to fit flush with the top, so I will be removing the entire duct and rear blower from the console since I won't be using it now. I originally had thought of making the rear air functional, but I knew I was going to be installing the siren, and that took priority over the rear air. There is a rubber grommet next to the brake booster that the speaker wire is run through, which is both large enough for additional wires as well as easy to get to. I'll post pics of it later. Hopefully monday I will get to finish this install, including my visor lights thats currently in the trac...

SVT

41 - 60 of 80 Posts